The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday February 5, 2007 at 01:19
scotty63
Long Time Member
February 2007
Anyone have any direct input on the build quality/ use of a TC30 vs a 550?
I've read all the posts and looked for a TC30 locally to no avail. I purchased a 520 as a "trial" and although am convinced the SW can be beaten into submission, the build quality & ergonomics is just terrible.
I just played w/ a 550 and it is surprisingly, much better than the 520, probably because of the rubber back vs. the hard plastic and better color contrast for buttons up front. It doesn't creak when I grip it! A color display is not a priority for me nor is a docking remote (I'll use rechargables). I'm not likely to need to control more devices than the 550 can either.
Is the build of the TC30 worth the difference in the cost ($75) plus the issues of hacking from the HK to Harmony site and potentially incompatible software? Are the buttons truly better spaced or is this an optical illusion due to different colors used?

Usually, HK build quality is very good and I'd be willing to pay but if it's a relabeled 520 chassis w/ a color screen and 880 guts, it's tough to see the value over a 550.

Comments/ opinions? Wish I could see a TC30 before ordering on-line.

Thanks.....
So, how do civilians do this stuff?

Hosting Services by ipHouse