The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Monday February 12, 2007 at 23:13
Bernie33
Lurking Member
February 2007
I've read the other replies, and I am finding them confusing (as well as not being clear on how they are going to solve the problem).

Here is how I am coping with the problem, and what I plan to in the future. I have the Samsung Q80 AVR, which is similar to the system that Dan006 has, except my rear speakers are not on towers.

Most of our TV watching is via a Motorla 6412-III DVR. The video feeds directly to the TV via HDMI, and the audio feeds via optical cable to the audio system. (I'd prefer to feed the HDMI signal to the AVR and have it feed the video to the TV, but the DVR won't talk properly until it gets a firmware upgrade someday.)

Here is how we're coping with the problem Dan006 describes. Our AVR is set to HDMI input and it stays that way. Each time it is turned on it stays in that mode, so there is no problem. We never use it in FM nor XM mode, so those aren't an issue, although I do have an activity for "Listen to FM" set up.

I've added an "Eject" button to the "Watch DVD" activity. That was easy to do and the Harmony database already knows that code. In fact it is one of the buttons for the device, but I also added it to the "Watch DVD" activity main screen for convenience.

To watch a DVD I pick the "Watch DVD" activity and then press the Eject button. That does two things. It opens the drawer on the AVR/DVD player; and it causes the AVR to output a video signal.

When we revert back to our normal "Watch DVD" activity I press the InputAux button the correct number of times to get us to the HDMI input on the AVR. I've added an "InputAux" button to the "Watch DVR" activity main screen for convenience. I've also labeled that button "Audio input" just to make things less confusing for the user.

Something that I think presents a challenge for the Harmony is that the AVR changes the devices that it cycles through depending on whether it was in DVD mode or not. If I recall correctly, when it was in DVD mode, hitting InputAux cycles through Aux 1, Aux 2, HDMI, Digital, FM, XM, and maybe DVD. But if it was in HDMI mode when powered on, then it only cycles through Aux 1, Aux 2, HDMI and Digital.

For the future, I'm looking forward to the day that our cable provider distributes the firmware update for the DVR. Then I will feed the HDMI output of the DVR to the Q80 AVR. I'll be able to remove the optical audio cable then too. Then I'll be able to feed the video from the Q80 to the TV for both television and DVD's. At that time I'm hoping it will also be a bit easier to make the Q80 function the way I wish or I'll contact Logitech again. When I first got the 880 I was routed to second level support and a very helpful person thought we could get everything working, and may even have set it up for the time that the DVR does get updated, but I may have wiped out some of that setup in my susequent adjustments.

Last edited by Bernie33 on February 12, 2007 23:19.

Hosting Services by ipHouse