The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Wednesday September 11, 2002 at 02:17
Keith @ Mr. Hookup
Founding Member
May 2002
$175 and hour? I've got to envy that. Here in San Diego, people complain about $55.00 an hour! People go to Best Buys or Circuit City and spend their wad on a bunch of overpriced, poorly-matched crap, including all the cables and a universal remote, then want us to install it for a couple of hundred bucks. They are always surprised when we tell them that we actually sell the equipment and design the system and don't want to install equipment that we don't sell. If they do give us the opportunity to sell the equipment, they expect proposals with lots of options and details spelled out in great detail. They think that we should install the equipment free for the favor of buying from us. They think that installers are paid $10.00 per hour for their "labor". They think that they should get a big discout for being a nice guy or sending us some referals from their equally as cheap friends. They get three or four estimates from other audio/video installers in the area, some of which hire only illegal immigrants and do very sloppy work for almost nothing. After the installation, they expect detailed instruction manuals and lifetime warranties. Customer support is expected 24 hours a day, seven days a week. And they expect to pay for it whenever they get around to it if ever. That's what we have to deal with in San Diego, probably the most competitive area in the United States.

Okay, I'm exagerating a little. But seriously, I couldn't imagine getting $175.00 an hour for our services. I have been doing this kind of work for over 37 years , and I think that I have one of the more technically advanced installation compaines here in town. I do charge companies $85.00 an hour for engineering consulting, but don't think I can get $800 for programming a remote, even though I am dammed good at it. Maybe I'm just in the wrong city or don't realize what other companies are charging. If you guys can do it, more power to you!

I have always felt, however, that the perceived value of our services and the respect for our knowledge is greatly underestimated and greatly undervalued.

Okay, I've just had a tough day and needed to bitch a little. Thanks for enduring by ramblings.

Keith

Hosting Services by ipHouse