The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Friday September 13, 2002 at 04:00
Keith @ Mr. Hookup
Founding Member
May 2002
Thanks for your suggestions, guys! I'm going to check out the projectors mentioned if I can find them on display somewhere.

As for Twix's question about the 3:4 format screen: The reason that they are going to use a screen of this shape is because it has to fit into an area inside an existing cabinet, a very expensive cabinet that they don't want to part with. At least for the next few years, there will still be a lot of 3:4 programming on TV. And for many more years they will still be watching re-runs and classic shows like I Love Lucy and Andy Griffiths. If Gomer Pyle were to see himself in a re-run on a modern HD-compatible TV, he should still say "Golllleeee!" with same excitement he had for the picture on a analog-only set. Most HDTV-compatible sets look like crap on standard broadcasts. I have had more than one return of a top of the line Sony Wega TV because of a poor picture on normal cable broadcasts, even though it looks so good on a DVD-generated picture or an HDTV picture. I am very concerned about having an poor picture for 90% of what they are going to watch for the next few years. Sorry I got off the subject just a little, I guess thinking of Gomer Pyle got me distracted. I realize that the shape has nothing to do with the poor picture quality of conventional television broadcasts on HD-compatible TVs, but it is one of my biggest concerns about selling a projector to these people. Anyway, it's mostly a cabinet issue. I've gotta go now-- Leave It To Beaver is about to start.

Seriously though, thanks for your help. Additional input is greatly appreciated.

Keith

P.S.
It's the episode where June tells Ward that he's been a little hard on the old Beaver lately.

Hosting Services by ipHouse