Original thread:
Post 7 made on Sunday April 27, 2003 at 19:07
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On 04/26/03 19:28, Mark W said...
Kitchen, dining room and family room can all see
the ir receiver so there is only one.

Do I interpret this correctly to mean that the only place where you could not stand with a remote right now and hit a sensor is out by the pool? If that is so, then you don't need to worry about sensors for the dining room and family room.

All speakers are not in use.

Huh? Not all speakers are in use? All speakers are turned off? All speakers sound like crap so I never turn 'em on? Okay, sorry about the sarcasm. I don't get what you are telling us here.

Anyway, it looks to me like the Xantech switcher is the simplest and probably cheapest approach, if I understand that first point above correctly. Out by the pool? That's a bit of a problem because of sunlight; look for threads here or advice from Xantech about how to deal with IR sensors outdoors.

You could use a Xantech waterproof keypad out by the pool, with macros built into it so that a few controls will do the speaker switching you want, something like
"only pool speakers on," "all speakers on," and then commands for the amps and such. If you are going to use a keypad and you are far from the system, you might as well use its ability to control other components.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse