The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Sunday August 10, 2003 at 13:58
M_Bruno
Long Time Member
August 2002
On 08/10/03 02:15, Ernie Bornn-Gilman said...
I do this all the time with a Calrad pre-fab adaptor
that is anywhere from 6" to 18" long

Thanks Ernie. I'll check them out.

Incidentally, I personally discourage using RG-6
for video unless you have the tools and connectors
to crimp on BNCs (Calrad has this, too), because
you can't solder to its aluminum braid or shield.
If you have to terminate RG-6 with an F connector,
your connection will sooner or later be flaky
with video. RG-59 works well for all current
video frequencies. I used to use it for all VHF
antenna usage, and that goes up above 200 mHz,
so it should be okay for video.

True that most coax uses aluminum shield (and copper-plated steel center). Also, by soldering connectors one does not maintain the proper 75 ohm impedance required for faithful transport of video. I use Canare true 75 ohm crimp BNCs and RCAs as appropriate (expensive, but worth it). For applications where the soldering of RG-6 is required, try Belden 9248. It uses all copper conductors (along with aluminum foil). Another benefit: reduced susceptibility to corrosion in salty coastal areas (I first used it on an installation near Montego Bay, Jamaica).

Both RG-6 and RG-59 can be had in sufficient quality to more than adequately cover even high-def video frequencies. Properly installed and terminated, high quality examples of either will handily outperform most "high end" retail-packaged cable at significantly lower cost. The benefit of RG-6 is lower loss due to larger conductor. Over the shorter runs typically encountered in home installations this point is largely academic. Personally, I find it easier to carry one less cable type along with related connectors and tooling, hence my choice of RG-6.

Regards,
Max

Hosting Services by ipHouse