The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Saturday August 9, 2003 at 02:49
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
yeah, that's the reason that some audio cables have arrows on them. The arrows lead away from the grounded shield end.

But CAT5 is good for high frequency stuff because the twist makes sure that any currents induced in a conductor are cancelled out by currents in the opposite polarity induced in the other conductor a half twist away.

I am remembering that shields on these things only drain away electrostatic interference, but suddenly my brain freezes when I try to think about how RG-6 has a shield that is a conductor and we don't see hum induced in it unless it is in a really STRONG field. Is it that RG-6 is a transmission line? Can anyone tell me why audio works so noise-free, and video too fo that matter, on twisted pair, but RG-6 with no twisting is not susceptible to the same kind of interference as, say, lamp cord used for signal wire?
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse