Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Saturday November 20, 1999 at 14:08
Paul Vendittelli
Historic Forum Post
This problem has dogged me to. I have a Kenwood VR-209, with its terrible stock remote (also make by one-for-all). I had the non-learning producer 8 and could not get past this. I could select VCR, CD, Tuner, Phono, but not SAT. I was using code 0313, and got the advanced codes from one-for-all, all to no avail.

Realizing that I would need a learning remote, I got the new Radio Shack 15-1994 (I had to drive to Buffalo from Toronto because it is not available in Canada). This remote is generally considered identical to a one-for-all Cinema 7, and works with all the same codes. I just got it last night. The bad news is that 0313 and 0314 don't work with the remote, in fact I cannot find any code that works with the VR-209. The good news is I can learn everything I need. It seems to me that the OEM Kenwood remote puts out specific codes to switch the video inputs as you push the video button multiple times. Anyone using this remote knows how much easier it would be if it had separate source buttons.

Learning the SAT code was a challenge. Here's what I did: During the learning sequence the read light begins to strobe, indicating that it is ready to receive the code you want it to learn. Once the target key (key to be learned to) has learned the command, you can push it again and the light will begin to strobe again, indicating that you can change what was learned. First, I positioned the new Radio Shack remote between the receiver and the OEM Kenwood remote. Then I Learned the first input command (VCR on mine), then pushed the target key again and learned the next input command, which is the one I wanted. I watch the receiver change input source to indicate what had come out of the Kenwood remote. It worked !!! Now I have programmed the 15-1994 so smart key 1 puts the receiver in VCR source and smart key 2 puts it in SAT source.

I wish there were a way to unlock the secrets of what is stored in that smart key, but I don't know one. I hope this technique can be of some help to you. If you have a producer 8 learner, it will probably work for you. It should work for cliff on his Cinema 7. I will be returning my non-learning producer 8, because the RS 15-1994 is great and at way less money.

Paul.

Hosting Services by ipHouse