Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Thursday December 30, 1999 at 00:04
David B.
Historic Forum Post
One other variable to consider when some codes work and others don't....

code purity.

After I found all the Sony TV discrete function codes on my Cinema7 I taught them to my pronto. The Pronto allows viewing a hexidecimal representation of the code sequence learned. What I discovered is that although these codes worked, they were very long. They were in fact much longer than the basic (minimum) length of code the TV expected or needed to see.

My conclusion is that some of the IR codes programmed into the remote by ONEFORALL are likely longer than they need to be. This length (multiple repetitions of the same minimum code sequence) could explain why the Cinemas are so seemingly powerful when controlling most devices, but overwhelm the devices mentioned above. The Proscan DVD may not be able to deal with continuous IR sequence repetition. It may expect a break or pause after the minimum IR sequence. By pointing the remote away from the device it increases the likelyhood that only a portion of the length IR code gets to the device. The device can handle the portion. Pointed straight at the device, the device gets confused because it sees the whole code sent by the remote.

The few codes that DO work pointed straight at the device are probably just cleaner and shorter codes that the device tolerates better.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Dave

Hosting Services by ipHouse