The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 40 made on Wednesday January 29, 2003 at 23:54
willy4360
Founding Member
August 2001
Ok. I got the DVD's (Star Wars Trilogy).
Episode IV, so far...
The Sound:
Is great. I use a Bose System, so no DTS for now. The DD5.1 sounds great. In my system If I select DTS, no sound is produced because Bose does not have DTS, but with these DVD's when I select DTS, the DVD player detects the DTS but there is sound on the speakers (I don't know if it is a real DTS and I can't find out if it really is). On some parts the dialogs distorted a bit but not too much.
The Image:
Is much better than the VHS copies, that's for sure. I have a Sony Plasma PFM42B2. In the plasma I had to make some adjustments in the image to get the widescreen as it was ment to (I don't think it is anaphormic as they say it is) I modified the vertical size to get it right. I had to make adjustments in color, brightness and color temp to get a better image with more contrast (Since I can save the settings, I don't mind, I just reload them whenever I want). I guess this is because the plasma gives more resolution than a normal TV and the minor details are bigger. When I watched the disc in a normal TV (in the bedroom) it was perfect. I didn't have to make any adjustment, the image was near to perfection (for a Laser disc transfer).
Anyway I am planning to make more close adjustments in the plasma for the other discs, I watched the first one at the end of a large busy day and I was tired, so I guess I will get better results with a clear mind.
The Transfer:
I think it is very fair. Let's keep in mind that these are Laser Discs transfers, not from the original masters, so we won't get the resolution of a normal DVD. In some points the movements weren't smooth but that didn't bother me.
The Discs:
The discs came with some scratches because of the package they used. I had to get 3 DVD cases to hold the DVD's. I had to clean the discs to avoid loss in the image. They came with the covers (fine printed).
The Menu:
Good but could've been better.
The Extras:
Well... the trailer looks fine.
Enhanced DVD?:
I haven't tried it yet, but they say, in the cover, that there are more extras if you insert the disc on a PC, don't know about that. I will see...
Well, that's all for now... I'll let you know about the other discs, I guess that, since this was the first one and made in the 70's, the others will look better.

Willy.

Hosting Services by ipHouse