Long Time Member
December 2002
On 09/30/04 02:49 ET, augusty said...
I did download it and the software shows up vividly
on on my pocket pc. I even get a faint ir signal
and it works at about 10". My Smartphone is
exactly the same as the audiovox thera and the
toshiba e570. Both on the list.

I'm sorry, but they are not the same! For one thing, I would be VERY surprised if Audiovox would be lame enough to use the EXACT same audio hardware for a PDA as they would a cell phone; they are QUITE different in intent and function! Second, a computer can run different operating systems and not function at all the same from OS to OS. Smartphone is not the same as Pocket PC. That is why most apps intended for Smartphones were written expressely for Smartphone. At the VERY VERY least, working under the broad assumption that a program formatted and intended for Pocket PC would work as intended on a Smartphone, you would typically compile your app explicitly for Smartphone.

I am just frustrated that the dongle did not work,

I see we have listed the Audiovox Maestro as "Not internally verified. Should work based on hardware specs and existing system requirements" and the Audiovox Thera as "Compatibility reported by our customers". This means that we have never personally tested either unit, although some customer may have told us they got it working on a Thera. Perhaps that customer was using IrDA and never tried the audio transmitter.

I even e-mailed them to get the question that
you just gave me, but never got a reply from them.
That was: what pocket pc does the total remote
work best on?

Griffin Technology, as a matter of policy and fairness to all PPC makers, will not endorse any particular PPC. If you ask us which ones we have heard work well, we can tell you what we have heard. I, on the other hand, am free to give my personal opinion, which is that Dell Axim X3/X30 and later tend to represent what I believe is the best combination of features, functionality and price. I have posted that MANY times on these forums, so it shouldn't have been hard to find.

So why should I waste more time and money on them,
but rather get even with a nasty little remotecentral
posting such as this. They got my money that
is all they care about.

If "getting even" on a RC.com posting is all you need to be happy, then I am thankful. You wouldn't be the first, nor likely the last. As far as getting your paltry $25 bucks, please take it back. While I feel you did not exercise nearly enough due dilligence on this, Griffin makes it a policy not to split pennies, and your $25 is just not worth the grief for either of us so I would like to override any decision ANYONE else in the company might make (such as the tech support guys) and offer you a full product refund, INCLUDING SHIPPING.

Thank you Ultra Remote - You really care about
us!

They were more candid about the fact that they did not know if it would be possible to support you. They were looking out for themselves as much as you. If you had called in and placed an order for Total Remote on the phone, and told us you wanted to use TR on a Smartphone, we would have told you we could not support it and tried to dissuade you from buying it. If you had insisted, we would have sold it to you and put a note on your order record to the effect that you were warned and we would not offer a refund.

So let me recap:

You bought Total Remote for use on a Smartphone, even though we explicitly state it is for Pocket PCs only. You assume your Smartphone is exactly the same as an Audiovox Thera or Maestro, which is not necesarily a reasonble assertion, but we do not even verify or affirm compatibility with those devices. You did not call tech support, but have E-mailed and not received a reply to your latest question... which was HOW MANY days ago? 2? 3? Now, instead of seeking a refund you intend to badmouth Griffin. And as an absolute aside, as though this crumpet of information was meaningless, you mention that NO REMOTE CONTROL APP IN EXISTANCE WORKS FOR YOUR APPLICATION!!!!

Hello?!?

Call to arrange for an immediate refund. Or not.

--Don, Senior Engineer, Total Remote

ALL OPINIONS EXPRESSED ARE AS A RESULT OF MY BLIND FURY, AND ARE NOT NECESSARILY REFLECTIVE OF GRIFFIN TECHNOLOGY POLICY.

Hosting Services by ipHouse