Post 7 made on Friday September 24, 2004 at 17:29
Don Stratton
Long Time Member
December 2002
On 09/22/04 22:31 ET, Qwelldrin said...
IPAQ 55xx series I have now tried Total remote
version 2-1-381 on no less than 4 55xx Ipaqs with
mixed results. On only one occasion did the IPaq
5555 work with the Total remote TR unit.
Testing process,

Wow! I don't know what to say. I only have one iPaq 5555, but it is my personal PPC and one of two primary test units for Total Remote, so it gets used for every single build and every single release version. Needless to say, I have never had any problem with it. If I had encountered a problem, then by definition that version/build of Total Remote would never have been released until it did work on my unit. This has NEVER happend; every version of TR (even the betas) has worked. Oh sure, many of the betas exhibited bugs and stuff we needed to fix, but they were fixed and officially released.

Given the staggering possible number of permeutations of hardware, software, firmware and so on it is not even slightly surprising that an application might not run in all circumstances. _NONE_ of the PPC vendors provide detailed technical support infomation on changes to their systems (hardware, software, firmware or what) so we are constantly being surprised by updates that mysteriously break/alter performance. All we can do is react when something goes wrong... and even then we can only act if we can reproduce the error. I would say most of the time, in this kind of situation, we cannot determine what the problem might be without endless amounts of brute-force usage and trial. :(

A second TR unit was used from a 5450 which has
been working for last 6 months.
This gave the same results as above.

At least this TENDS to indicate there is nothing wrong with the transmitter itself, unless it is a mechanical tolerance issue where the connections work on your 5450 but are just barely out of tolerance in the 5555.

I have seen somewhere on a thread that because
of the low volume output of the 55xx series this
can cause the TR unit to function incorrectly.

Actually, I have not really found any problem with the 5555, but I do have reason to suspect that the audio on 41xx series iPaqs may not all be created equal because some people have absolutely no problem and some cannot ever get it to work. This is another great example of how I would love to ask someone from HP (or HTC) what the hell they might have done that they didn't tell the rest of the world about. :/

--Don

Hosting Services by ipHouse