The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Sunday April 30, 2000 at 22:16
Greg Brown
Historic Forum Post
DJ,

That is a very good question. There are five different type of sensors out there right now.

1) Low voltage sensing.
2) High voltage sensing.
3) Light sensing.
4) Video sensing.
5) RF sensing

The low voltage sensor could be used to sense a fan being turned on. Or a power supply that is being switched from a switched outlet just to name a few. ( These may need to be hard wired by a professional.)

The high voltage sensor is made to be plugged into a switched outlet…. i.e. like a receiver. ( This is a very easy one to install. )

The light sensor is to be used with any component that has a status led that goes off when the unit is off and comes on when the unit is turned on. ( These sensors have a pad that sticks over the led. )

The video sensor uses the composite video signal. However, if you are using S-Video to your TV, it can still be used. You just have to be creative with the install. ( These sensors are very easy to set up as well. )

The RF sensor is the hardest one to get placed correctly. This can be used to sense the status of a TV by measuring the RF noise generated by the TV’s tube. ( This almost always means taking a TV apart to install it. Professional’s only. )

I am not sure what sensors RTI is going to offer. The five sensors mentioned above are for another type of system we install. I think that they are getting them from the same place. Just a guess.

I am sure that if using some of these other sensors , that RTI would prefer you have a professional install them. When we use the light sensors, we take the components apart to install them. Also, while we are in the unit, we do the same with the IR emitter. This way you do not have to worry about the light sensor falling off and gives a more professional looking appearance.

Good Luck,

Hosting Services by ipHouse