Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Friday February 25, 2000 at 23:56
Bob
Historic Forum Post
Tonight I did a quick test drive on the 3 main DSS units on the market, Sony, RCA, and Hughes.

Some observations:

1) Only the Sony gives detailed program information in the guide. Hughes and RCA require another keystroke to bring up a separate screen (and then you have to hit another key to get back to the guide).

2) Only the Sony allows for a (near) full screen visible view after changing/selecting channels. The RCA and Hughes leave a big nasty "informational bar" over about 30% of the top of the screen for about 3-5 seconds.

3) The Sony unfortunately does NOT have options for the guide view. The RCA and Hughes offer the ability to select viewing the picture (pip-style) while surfing the guide OR to instead have a full-screen guide. The Sony only has the pip-style. Also, the Sony changes the picture with each selection you are on while guide surfing. The RCA allows the picture to remain that of the one you were previously watching when you began surfing the guide.

Overall I believe the Sony was the best. I have heard they are coming out with a new model in only a few weeks, so maybe they will have enhanced some of the shortcomings. But first of all they need to reduce prices - and fast. The single LNB model RCA and Hughes are going for $50-$100 while the Sony is running considerably more at $150.

Anyone with any comments (or correction/clarification) on the above, please feel free to speak up.

Bob

Hosting Services by ipHouse