Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Thursday July 12, 2001 at 20:03
Kris
Historic Forum Post
I have had the Mitsubishi WS65807 for about 2 months. Couldn't be happier with it. I purchased it locally and did have to have them replace it when a high voltage block went out. Very happy I did not buy it over the net, as it was replaced with a new set no questions asked. I had it hooked up to cable until about two weeks ago. The picture was just OK on most channels. I recently got the Mitsubishi HD satellite unit with a dish. It was very easy to install myself and I now have a great picture through DirecTV. The down side to a 16:9 set is that DirecTV only carries one HD channel (HBO) plus one pay per view HD channel. It would be nice if DirecTV carrier the digital signals of the local network stations, but they don't. I am going to try a roof top antenna for the local digital feed, but don't have my hopes up as I live in a very hilly area. The picture on most of the sat channels is very good on almost all of the sat channels (in between cable and a DVD). The better picture quality does allow you to choose the expanded mode for viewing 4:3 images where you lose a little of the top and bottom of the picture (This picture was very poor on cable). The expanded (stretching) modes are not too bad, but you will notice the stretching. DVD's look incredible. I have a Pioneer 5 disk DVD player with progressive scan. I have heard Pioneer's progressive scan is only a line doubler and does not utilize the 3:2 pull down. All I know is that it is hard to tell a difference between the HD picture from the satellite and the progressive scan picture from the Pioneer DVD. I believe most people will never notice the difference. The same can be said for the picture quality of the TV's. I looked at all three Mitsubishi wide screen models (Platinum, Platinum Plus and Diamond), the Sony wide screen and the Pioneer Elite side by side and could not tell much of a difference between the Mitsubishi's and the Pioneer. The Sony did not seem to be as good. I would image if you had the "test patterns" on the screen you could probably notice a greater difference, but I never plan on watching test patterns on my TV. If your room size will allow it, I would go with the widescreen. I am planning to get a 36" 4:3 TV for another room. I don't believe I would get a 16:9 set that was under 50". I hope this helps in your decision process. Also, the MX-500 remote will bring the whole system together and is the best money I have spent on my entire system. I believe my system is the best for the amount of money spent, less than $4,000 for the TV, HD Tuner and DVD.

Hosting Services by ipHouse