Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday August 31, 2001 at 23:23
schalliol
Founding Member
August 2001
I'm having a remote problem.

I'm planning on setting up a video network to 9 TVs for two channels of satellite video. The point where the satellite receivers will need to be installed is in one corner of the basement (cable distribution point) and be able to be controlled from the second floor on the other end of the house.

I really don't want to run new wires (between walls) to accomplish this (it'd be a lot of cables), so I see only two options:

1. Run IR through the coax cable.
I have two problems with this. The first is that there would need to be a lot of equipment installed to do this. The second, and probably more important, is that there would probably be a lot of IR noise from 9 IR receivers funnelled down to one location.

2. Use RF Remotes. This I think is going to be the preferred solution if it can work.
There are potential problems with this though.
a. I'm really worried about the range that the remotes that are available for DSS receivers would offer. I understand that there's an RCA DirecTV receiver (no UltimateTV?) and a Dish Network receiver and PVR/receiver. Know of any more?
b. If I get two of these units can I use both at once independently?

* Does anyone know of any other RF remote options? I would think that an RF to IR system would work if it had the right range, but I have yet to see any unit. I'm not referring to IR to RF to IR because that would have the same type of interference issues as with the IR over the coax cable. I'm talking about RF remote controls that at the final stage emit IR signals. Anything I haven't mentioned would really be appreciated. Thanks a lot for your insight.

Hosting Services by ipHouse