Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Friday March 9, 2001 at 10:37
Dave Lewis
Historic Forum Post
Well after getting the oval dish installed yesterday, (I initially had the Mits hooked up to my old 18" dish), things are not looking as good.

First, whenever I select the 1080i component output the picture will randomly totally disappear to a solid black screen, sort'a the inverse of a "flash" :-). The blackout lasts from as little as a second to maybe 5 to 10 seconds, the sound never stops, only the picture. It "appears" to be more prevalent when there is a bright flash in the scene, such as a bomb explosion and flare of flame, and blink, the picture disappears briefly and then flashes back on. I went to the 480i SD S video output and have so far NOT seen this behavior on the S video out.

Second, upon closer examination, in the 1080i output any NON HD stuff, i.e., standard old NTSC be it via the sat or OTA, is slightly soft looking, almost like the picture is slightly out of focus, certainly not the razor sharpness the Sony KW-34HD1 normally exhibits. Even worse, I was watching a movie off of the sat last night, in the 1080i output the upper right corner of the picture would "tear", down about 2 inches from the top of the screen. It almost looks like a tracking adjustment error on a VCR. Again going to the 480i output totally eliminates this strangeness.

Third,even in the 480i mode, the picture is just not as sharp as my old Sony Sat-A50.

The regrettable thing is that the OTA HDTV is OUTSTANDING, much better than the Sony KW-34HD1 HD tuner. On the DTV channel 199 loop, WHEN the picture is present, i.e., no black out, and the utput is in the 1080i mode, the picture is stunning.

It is beginning to look like either an interface issue between the Mits and the Sony on the 1080i, or I have either a bad Mits, or my HD input on the KW-34HD1 is bad, (which of course until now has never been used, the Sony tuner connects via a dedicated connector).

Has anybody who has actually been able to get the Sony Sat-HD100 been able to verify if the guide issues that the last Sony receivers have is corrected or not? In addition, how is the picture quality of the SAT-HD100?

Hosting Services by ipHouse