The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Wednesday November 9, 2005 at 11:35
Larry Fine
Loyal Member
August 2001
If Ernie doesn't mind, I'd like to expand a bit on the explanation.

All cable has signal loss over distance, typically expressed as X db per 1000 ft. The different types have different loss numbers, the RG-59 being the worst offender, and RG-11 the best (of the 3 types mentioned here).

Additionally, the loss increases with increasing frequency, so for any given application, one first determines the maximum frequency desired to be carried, the distance to be covered, and the acceptable loss for the use.

Braid shield always has some spaces between strands, so may approach, but quite hit, 100% coverage, while the aluminized mylar foil is always 100% coverage. Quad-shield is very overrated and not mandantory.

Years ago, I lived in an an area that had cable-TV with dual-coax runs (120 channels), and I collected a couple of spools of dual-shield RG-59 dual-coax, so I used that in my home, because we have dual-tuner TiVos.

I'm only talking about the ruins from the multi-switch to the receivers; there is RG-6 from the dish to the multi-switch. The runs are around 50', and the RG-59 is adequate for these runs; picture quality is fine.

Hosting Services by ipHouse