Original thread:
Post 9 made on Tuesday November 8, 2005 at 00:14
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On 11/07/05 19:38 ET, roddymcg said...
As long as the RF cable is RG6, and I would
recommend
it being quad 4 (4 shields) you will be fine.

Perfect answer except quad is better than dual (one foil plus one shield) at eliminating interference. You will RARELY have interference in the 950 -145o mHz region, so it isn't necessary to use quad. Once in a conversation with a guy from Belden, he agreed with my assertion that there is one sole reason that I, an installer, should always use RG-6. It is so my client can't be stolen by some other guy who comes in, curls his lip at the wire, and says "I guess he didn't know enough to give you the GOOD stuff." The client won't know better and that installer might even believe it. But it isn't necessary.

Usually RG 59 is fine , but if you can get or
already have the RG6 there, then use it.

All cables have loss. Distance increases this loss. RG-59 has higher loss per hundred feet, especially at satellite frequencies, than RG-6. If you have RG-59 in place and it works, great. I even had to work with a whole house wired by camera guys with RG-59, and it worked on runs as long as 60 feet. RG-6 is better, but if 59 works, then RG-6 won't improve things.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse