The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Sunday November 20, 2005 at 16:29
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Flame me if you will for not calling the cable company and sitting on hold etc etc, but I figure you guys out there will have the answer for this before I can get through!

A client bought a house, a demo house in an upscale tract, where the general contractor TOTALLY cheaped out on phone jacks and on cable outlets. It is a two-story house with two three-car garages, three bedrooms, an office, a dedicated tiered screening room, living room, family room, dining room, pool, fountains....and FOUR phone jacks. There is one cable jack in each room, but not necessarily in the right place. They are too far from the phone company for DSL, so internet is done over the cable.

Anyway, they have a cable modem in the office and also need to run a computer in the upstairs bedroom at the opposite end of the house. There are no reasonable wire paths for a CAT5 from the office to the bedroom, but I could run a cable to the bedroom -- of course, I can't use the jack in the bedroom because it is on the wrong wall -- and connect to the internet there.

If, that is, you can put two cable modems on one cable run. It makes sense to my limited understanding of how a cable internet network might work, but I don't know.

What do you think, or better yet, what has your experience been? They have Adelphia cable, if that matters.

Come to think of it, in another house with Adelphia and a cable modem (but where they don't actually watch cable at all), there is a drop tap in the cable termination at the side of the house. One output is -6 dB, the other is the feedthrough. Which one of these would be the internet connection?

Thanks --
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse