The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Sunday January 15, 2006 at 18:19
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
I didn't see this post until just now, after someone bumped this to the top recently.

On October 7, 2005 at 01:30, beldredge said...
So, I am thinking of two HD DVRs - one "local"
to my HDTV, and one "modulated" to be distributed
through the home video network. The only High-Def
viewing I would have is off the local family room
receiver, which would have a single coax going
to it, and then to the TV through component-video.

That is totally clear, except "receiver" -- you mean DVR?

The modulated DVR, in the basement, would only
be "feeding" non-HD TV's. So, are you saying
that the simple fact that the receiver puts out
channels at a number higher than 100,

No. The receiver? You mean the DVR? Its programs, all in 480i, would be on whatever channel the modulator can go to that has no interference from digital channels. The DVR might have a channel 3/4 output, might not, so I think you are thinking of the modulator channel here.

this would
conflict with the modulator, assuming it does
not go that high (that's something I haven't checked
yet)?

Yes, on many channels.

You can't tell by the cable channel number what channel the program is on. I have seen, on a Sharp TV before adding a cable card, programs listed on 92.1, 92.2, 92.3, 93.4, etc; these seem to be subchannels of the cable frequencies (these are typical of what the frequencies look like, but I made up these actual numbers; I don't mean them to be the few channels in the nineties that are in the FM band). It is quite possible that every cable channel above your highest normal cable channel (77 or 78 in the Los Angeles area, remembering that a couple in the mid-nineties are actually in the FM band so do not count in this discussion) has several digital channels on it, so you might not find ANY usable channels for your modulator until you are above 100.

For example, if the "normal" channels go
from 2-80, and then the HD channels start at 100,
I could not use 90 for the modulated channel?

Digital channels 100, 101, 102, 103, 177 and 206 might be on cable channel 90, while 104, 117, 123, and 129 might be on cable channel 91. In other words, there is ZERO predictable relationship between the actual cable frequency and the numbers of the channels delivered on those frequencies. The numbers above 100 on the cable box ALL are channels that came in on some other cable frequency.

You will have to go fish with your modulator, and see which channel(s) have no interference from digital channels.

Another question - I figured I'd have two coax
lines feeding into the video network (through
a splitter): the regular cable line, and the
line from the modulator (with the digital cable
DVR connected).

Right. Typical and perfect.

Hypothetically, let's say that
is modulated at channel 89. My assumption is
that on a TV connected to that network, I go through
its internal cable tuner, and every channel up
through 89 is showing the "standard" cable channels.

Well, up through 88. 89 can't be below the modulated channel and also BE the modulated channel.

Once I hit 89, it is the modulated digital cable
signal, and is now controlled through that "central"
receiver. Is that right?

Again, what do you mean by "receiver?" "Controlled?" No -- Tuned in and watched, yes. If, by receiver, you mean TV, yes, when your TV is at 88 or below, it will be tuning in regular cable channels. When you hit 89, you will be tuning in the modulator.

With all these issues I am thinking of, along
with your feedback on the cable boxes, I'm already
thinking of just sticking with DirecTV and waiting
for local HD availability (which is my #1 priority
in all this).

It's coming soon, although it will be a new and different type of mess. I am not sure what to recommend, and this post has made me realize that I am just sitting back waiting to see what will happen. As I understand it, when Mpeg 4 is enabled, ALL current DirecTV receivers will be instantly obsolete!

Kinda makes ya wanna go ta cable, doesn't it? Attaboys, DirecTV!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse