The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1,372 made on Monday December 31, 2007 at 02:49
boranin
Lurking Member
December 2007
On December 27, 2007 at 21:10, lostinUHF said...
Hello all,

Just received a DB8 antenna for Christmas. I am a newbie
to the OTA stuff and would like feedback from someone
living in or around Hamilton (ideally below the escarpment).

What sort of HD reception do you get for CBS, NBC and
ABC?

I live in Burlington (Burloak & New) and I just set up a DB8 in my attic. I couldn't lock onto both Buffalo and Toronto so I disassambled the antenna and pointed one side at Toronto and another one to Buffalo, which works out to about a 90 degree angle. I couldn't get NBC, FOX and CBC initially so I added some cheap Phillips amp from Walmart. It's rated 12dB, 50-900MHz but I am only seeing a 5-10% improvement on most channels. My RG6 is about 70 ft long so I am probably losing about 3-4 dB on it.

So far I am getting a decent signal (50-75%) from Buffalo area (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CW, WB, FOX), Toronto stations (CTV, SUN TV and CITY TV) are around 50%. I am having problems with CBC. The signal is weak, <45% and it keeps dropping. My Sharp Aquos needs at least 40% for a steady picture but the CBC signal strength is hovering around 30% right now. This is rather unexpected as I was getting a clear lock on CBC and Buffalo stations when I had my DB8 in the living room and pointing almost directly to Buffalo. I'll try a better amp one of these days. I am also debating if I should get a second DB8 (or maybe DB4) and point one to Toronto and second one to Buffalo. However, I'm not sure if it's possible to join them without using a switch.

Hosting Services by ipHouse