Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 901 made on Sunday December 3, 2006 at 22:20
yardbird
July 2005
I just bought a Sylvania 6626LCT LCD for the bedroom. $549 ntsc/atsc tuner, 26", 1000:1 and lots of inputs. We've been satellite customers for a long time, but this is our first HD set. Satellite works fine on it (SD... we don't have HD service), but I wanted to see if I could get HD channels OTA.

I found a Terk 75ohm to 75ohm matching transformer (and thought I should be looking for a 75ohm-300ohm.... but...) and I used a couple alligator clips and some scotch tape to stick this to an FM dipole off an old stereo. I draped the wires across the back of the dressers in the bedroom to spread them out.

HOLY COW! I have HD! ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CW .... HUGE difference over the satellite which I thought was far superior to cable in my area. I live in Sanborn. About 8 miles due east of Niagara Falls. So I'm pretty close to Grand Island (to the northeast of it.

If I can get this many HD stations with some cobbled together pieces of wire.... I would think it would be worth it (for the sake of appearance at least) to go out and get an indoor antenna. I've seen some for under 40 dollars. So... couple of questions...

That matching transformer... does that sound right? No transformer came with the TV. There's only one connection for coax on this set but I thought antennas used the 75 to 300ohm transformer. (Been on satellite many years and have forgotten most of this OTA stuff)

Considering what I've accomplished with some wire and alligator clips, my thoughts of getting a cheap antenna sound ok? Suggestions from the radio shack/best buy/circuit city ... local places?

I almost feel silly being this excited. You'd think it was like when color TVs first came out (yeah I'm that old... heheh... round picture tubes and all...)
Panasonic TH42PX60U, Yamaha RX-V667, DirecTV HR24, Sony DVP-NC80V, URC MX-980, PSX-2

Hosting Services by ipHouse