The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Tuesday September 28, 1999 at 15:22
Simon Ngan
Historic Forum Post
Chris,

Here is the situation, the SwitchLinc switch I got from you is installed in my bedroom. I also have a P2 PC in the same room that plugged to an UPS as well as other devices.

The plug-in filter is not for the P2, is for the 486 that I'm running the HA Software (Commander-X). The 486 used to be sitting in the basement, but since I'll be using it more often to check any X10 activities, I thought I could put it in the guest bedroom upstairs. The 486 PC was purchased not in Canada so the voltage is 220V. I have to use a regulator to convert from 110V to 220. You may ask why don't I replace the power supply? I wish I could, but it's a pure IBM PC and the power supply is kinda different than a general clone PC Power Supply.

I put the ActiveHome 2-way interface to one of the wall receptacles. Then I plug a surge protector to the 2nd wall receptacle. There is nothing plugged to the 2-way interface. From the surge protector, I plugged the monitor (110V), and the power regulator (110V to 220V), then the output from the regulator goes to the Power Supply of the PC.

As soon as I put the computer upstairs, one of the appliance module in my room started to act weirdly. Well, I tried to change the module to a different HouseCode/UnitCode, but it still turns itself on all the time.

It happened before when the PC was in the basement, but it's not as bad as it is now. I read somewhere else that power regulator or transformer will generate noise so I thought a Noise Filter might help.

I could put the PC back downstairs but if it can stay upstairs then I can network it to the PC Network and somehow I can monitor X10 status from the Internet (future plan).

I don't have a coupler or amplified coupler, is it a DIY project?

Roland,

I have this problem right from the start when I first got ActiveHome Kit. However, it wasn't as bad as I moved the PC upstairs.

I guess Commander-X and ActiveHome don't understand each other at all. Probably this is why I can't execute a code from Commander-X to trigger a macro in ActiveHome.

Thanks guys for the ideas.

P.S. Another thing I can try is to plug the PC to another outlet using an extension cord, this way I can make sure if the PC is causing troubles.

Simon

Hosting Services by ipHouse