The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Thursday October 21, 1999 at 14:39
Chris Couture
Historic Forum Post
Scott,
Being that the door locks are using RF signals and are battery operated, there is not any device that I know of that will allow X-10 to Homelink operation. You can turn the Homelink into X-10 signals, although a really cool combination, it doesn’t help you in what you’re looking for.

Here are a few suggestions off the top of my head:

1. If the door lock remotes can be learned into a universal remote used for garage doors, you could do some hardwiring of the remote to have them working your locks via X-10. I’d go to the local Home Depot and get a universal learning remote for garage doors and try it. If it works…we can work on this route…if not, bring it back! Also, range will be a factor here. How far do the remotes work (if they even work)?

2. I will do some looking for a RF learning device that will turn X-10 to RF. This will, if even made, probably cost much more than option #1 and do, for the most part, the same thing. Really all you would be doing with the universal remote in #1 is using it as a RF transmitter. The buttons would be soldered to and a contact closure module would simulate a button press. This is similar to the IR macro controller I helped David B. to build. He wanted an inexpensive X-10 to IR macro emitter and I told him to get a cheap learning remote that had a macro button and solder to it…he did and it works wonderful according to him.

3. This will require some wiring but may be the only bet. Hardwire a remote at each location that is triggered via an X-10 contact module (just like option 1 but with several of the original remotes). The remotes can be mounted in the wall hidden by a blank electrical panel. This would probably work the best. You could get by using only one contact module and a few relays.

Let me know which direction you would like to go and I will try to help!

Chris Couture

Hosting Services by ipHouse