The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Monday October 25, 1999 at 12:34
Chris Couture
Historic Forum Post
Chris,
I do agree with you on the "hoops" you must jump through to control a simple task. I too would like a simple system that I could say "turn the bedroom lights on" and they would turn on. Instead I must wake the system up, say the function and then tell the system goodbye. By the time I have done this I could have went to the switch and done it myself. The problem is if it is left listening, it picks up too much clutter. As far as the shopping list, there are way too many variables there for it to ever be useful for me. I told it to add tacos the other day and it had me buying tampons? It can understand BEER really well but I don't need a computer to remind me to buy that! Anyway, some of the features that do operate well are the weather forecast, news and TV listings...more information based stuff. I also have had good luck with the device controls “Turn the fireplace on”.

I really didn't do too much looking before I choose the HAL2000 but I know that there are a few programs out there.

Here is the latest update on the system.

Instead of connecting the audio to the multi room speakers, I choose to locate speakers throughout the house for the HAL2000's voice. I have a plant ledge in every room and used small bookshelf speakers up there. The wife covered them with plants and we are both happy. The reason was because I use the multi room speakers for music (duh!). If I were to use them for the HAL2000's voice also, if I were to turn the stereo down with the volume controls in that room, the HAL2000's voice would be affected also.

That’s it for now.

Chris Couture

Hosting Services by ipHouse