Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Tuesday October 26, 1999 at 12:17
Roland S
Historic Forum Post
Andy,

---Wall Switch---
Regarding the wall switch, it is just a 2-way (1 switch to control a set of lights)?

I'm somewhat surprised to see a white wire attached to the switch, since the wire usually bypasses the switch and goes directly to the light.

Is the red attached to the switch too? You typically see that only with 3-way switches. Unless they prewired it in the event that you may want to change it to a 3-way in the future.

Most often, there are two black wires running from a 2-way switch (3 blacks if the switch is in a middle of a circuit and is providing current to another switch). One is the live side, and the other goes to the light. A third black may be also attached on the live side terminal to supply current to the fan.

With the X-10 wall switch, you would take the black wire and wing nut it together with the live wire AND the third "bypass" current wire. Then take the other X-10 wire and wingnut it to the wire that goes to the light.

---Fan Switch---
The typical X-10 Rocker Style switch may not work with a fan. They do sell low voltage Rocker Style switches for ceiling fans. They are a bit more expensive and I'm not sure if it's 3-way compatible. But they are "dimmable" (i.e. speed controllable).

I saw this item in a Home Controls catalog. They have a website http://www.homecontrols.com but I didn't see it on their website. You could always call them up.

Roland

Hosting Services by ipHouse