The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday September 3, 2003 at 04:50
PChek
Long Time Member
May 2003
I've just purchased a really low-cost add-on ceiling fan RF remote control. The handheld remote has fan speed/off buttons, and light on/off/dim buttons. The control module itself has black and white input wires, and white (neutral), black (fan), and blue (light) output wires. If the wall switch is turned off, the control will remember the current fan speed and light level, and they will be restored when the switch is turned on. The wall switch can also be used for additional control by turning it off and on rapidly: if it is turned off for more than one-half second, then back on, the fan will switch to the next slower speed and cycle through; if it is turned off for less than one-half second, then back on, the light will dim to the next lower level and cycle through.

I also have a X10 Pro XPS3 appliance (relay) switche which I intended to install for the ceiling fan/light fixture, which should be no problem. So my first question is, can the X10 switch be made to cycle off/on quickly enough to operate the control as described above. I suspect the answer is no, at least for the under one-half second duration, and that even were it possible, it would likely not be a very good idea to frequently subject the switch to such operation (although it may be okay for the longer duration).

Secondly, I use compact fluorescent bulbs for cost/energy/heat savings. I know that using a triac dimmer for such is a no-no. I don't know, but presume that the fan control uses a triac for the light circuit. Would it be safe to install in this manner, so long as the light is never dimmed, but only switched on/off? If not, would it be safe to wire the light straight to the incoming hot, thereby bypassing the fan control unit (I presume that the neutral passes straight through the fan control unit), and thus giving me control of fan speed via RF, and control of the light (without dimming) and fan on/off via the X10 wall switch? Or any better suggestions?

Finally, is there a way to give an Ocelot RF control of the fan?

Thanks.
Pchek

Hosting Services by ipHouse