The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Tuesday December 30, 2008 at 11:42
kx250ryder
Lurking Member
December 2008
Found a solution while Google-ing. Although I did find LCD proof sensors that were $100.00+ (and about 5 times more than I wanted to spend), I saw just as many complaints from people saying that they didn't work any better.

I found a post online stating that masking tape placed over the IR sensor with about 3 layers or so would do the trick. At that thickness, my TV would still block out the sensors effectiveness for the first minute or so while warming up. I decided that I might as well try an opposite approach. Rather than putting just enough to make the TV not cause interference, and having to wait for it to cool down so that I could test the warm up cycle, I put a ton of layers on (20 or so) and just removed one layer at a time until the remote worked regularly. I am guessing I am between 8-12 layers still on the device currently. It works! The TV is not interfering with the unit anymore.

For anyone else wanting to try, as a reference I used Ace Hardware's store brand masking tape 1 1/2 inch width (painter's grade, color is light tan) and cost less than 5 bucks. The setup I was using it on was a Harmony 880 remote, X10 IR-543, and the TV that was the culprit was a Vizio 42" 1080p LCD set VW42LFHDTV10A.
The same thing we do every night Pinky: try and take over the world. -Brain

Hosting Services by ipHouse