The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Monday February 2, 2009 at 21:29
Jim Fouch in Southern California
Founding Member
August 2001
As X-10 uses the power line, which I believe on your side of the pond is called the mains, to send signals and Z-Wave uses RF, it would seem that there would not be a problem.

For a more informed reply, instead of my guess, you might go to [Link: z-wave.com] which lists 3 or 4 forums on which Z-wave is discussed. On my monitor, which I need to replace, the blue text to click on does not look much different from the regular black text.

I just took a brief look at some Z-wave modules which seem to be priced at about double the price of X-10 Pro modules. If Z-wave is reliable then at this premium it is a bargain over X-10. It is interesting that there are some pretty large companies making Z-wave devices.

I have been using X-10 for about ten years and almost every switch in my three bedroom house uses the X-10 protocol and I have had to add a repeater, a coupler, boosters, filters for devices that put noise on the powerline, and worry about signal suckers.

And while my system works fairly well, it took a lot to get to that state and I sometimes have lights that fail to turn on or that turn on for no reason. I expect that if I had a wife instead of living alone, my X-10 devices would be in a landfill by now.

Cheers, Jim.
Cheers, Jim.

Hosting Services by ipHouse