The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Sunday February 1, 2009 at 22:20
Jim Fouch in Southern California
Founding Member
August 2001
I have not been keeping up too much with home automation the past few years, but there are other options to X-10 than Z-wave. There is INSTEAON (currently has major Q&A problems from what I have read) and UPB and possibly others. Most of these are made by companies that used to make X-10 products.

Some use the power lines to carry signals and some use radio waves and at least one uses a combination of the two.

X-10 which I control my house with has always had a lot of reliability problems, but if you keep your project small it may be satisfactory.

If your X-10 transmitter and receiver are on opposite legs of the power lines you will probably have to install a device to bridge the two legs. If they are far apart on the electrical system you may need a repeater and also filters on electrical noisy devices. These are all things that X-10 does not tell you

Sometimes a small installation works okay easily and sometimes it results in a lot of work, frustration, and the need for the devices that I mention above.

To eliminate confusion I should mention that X-10 is used to mean two things. One is the products that are made by X-10.com and the other meaning is products made by other manufacturers and use the X-10 power line technology.

I don't use any X-10 brand products in my installation as the wall switches are not of very high quality.

I am sorry that I don't know enough about the other new(ish) technologies to make a recommendation. Perhaps if you tell us what you plan to automate someone else can help. Also there are forums on the net that deal exclusively with this topic.

Cheers, Jim.
Cheers, Jim.

Hosting Services by ipHouse