Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Monday July 19, 1999 at 20:40
Daniel Nguyen
Historic Forum Post
Even though I felt that this thread is sufficiently long enough and that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, one thing I would like to make very clear:

There is such a thing as false imaging. The "true" image of anything is the recreation of the original source, including any instrumental/environmental factors, either POSITIVE or NEGATIVE. Anything that detracts from these reproductions, no matter how good, are not "true" imaging.

Example: A movie is recorded in MONO. The same movie is played using a Dolby Digital 5.1 in somewhat a simulated surround mode. Is this true imaging. No.

Example: A music CD is recorded in stereo. The same CD is played using Dolby Digital 5.1 with DTS to create more ambience. Let's say it sounded better. But is this true imaging. No.

Example: A black-and-white movie has just been colorized. The result is stunning. But is this true imaging. No.

Frequency are divided into 3 regions: Low, Mid, High. The low (bass) are omnidirectional. The mid and high are unidirectional. Most of the musical energy are in the mid-range. Bose cubes have a unique design. It's movable and you can point the cubes toward the listener, directing the sound. Because of this, Bose is loud. But is this true imaging. No.

I know that I may be too critical in this area, but you can ask anybody about this and get the same answer:

* The way to test for imaging is not with movies in any kind of surround modes. In fact, don't use movies for this kind of test at all.

* The way to test for imaging is with music. Not any kind of music, but classical instrumental.

And yes, I have been to those Bose presentations. Do try to get them to play a classical CD. Then close your eyes for a full 5 minutes, block out all thoughts, really listen and compare!.

Hosting Services by ipHouse