Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Thursday July 15, 1999 at 12:31
Daniel Nguyen
Historic Forum Post
From all the information that I have seen, heard, and from my own experience, here's my analysis of Bose speakers.

Advantage:
Bose is loud. Most people equate this loudness with goodness, which is not true. Bose has one of the highest sensitivity in a speaker that I have seen. A 3db sensitivity equals twice the loudness. Because of this sensitivity, Bose requires very little power to achieve big sound. Bose uses small cones, small drivers, small everything to achieve this. Also the Bose sub in most cases are active sub, so it's also louder.

Disadvantage:
The smallness, loudness, come at a price. Bose is terrible at imaging. In side by side comparision with other speakers, Bose simply cannot compete. Please note that other speakers may have a lower sensitivity (which requires a bigger amp), but if your amp can drive it (the speaker), then other speakers simply blows Bose away. The sub is loud because it's an active sub, but again, imaging is absolutely terrible.

The conclusion:
A lot of people equate loudness with goodness. This is simply not true. If comparing 2 speakers side by side, you have to setup the environment so that both speakers brand be driven to achieve the same level of sound!. If you are at a listening studio and simply switches speakers without modifying the volume, then Bose will sound louder, giving it a false advantage.

The ultimate goal of all of these products (amp, speaker, component...) is the reproduction of the original sound (the source), and reproduce it as accurate as possible. It is, therefore, accuracy is more important than anything else.

Hosting Services by ipHouse