Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday December 3, 1999 at 11:00
Carl Chapman
Historic Forum Post
I am pondering a question of great weight, updating my receiver.

Here is the scoop. I use my home theater for movies 80% of the time and music 20% of the time. I have a Toshiba TW65H80 with color stream and dtv component inputs, a Hughes Platinum DSS reciever, Sony 850 DVD changer, Pioneer PDF 1007 CD changer, and a Denon 3600, Magneplanar MGIII fronts and Infinity surrounds/center.

I am considering upgrading the receiver to get component video switching, more power and DTS. I am planning on purchasing a DTV STB that has component out in the spring. The convience of having everything through the HT system is very appealing.

I can get the Denon 5700DTS for $1800 which has component switching and is rated very well. My main speakers really eat the watts (like all maggies) and I have also considered getting separates, so that I can bump up the wattage as I see fit. That would also allow me to keep the amps and upgrade just the pre/processor in the future. Budget is up to $5000.

What do you think of the following:
Sunfire Theater Grand and amps
Meridian Pre/processor (video and audio separates) and amps
Rotel
Lexicon
Krell
Adcom

Is there anything worth considering that I have left out?

Ok, maybe the subject is a little misleading, but you really should feel rewarded knowing that you have helped a fellow enthusiast make the right decision. TIA - Carl

Hosting Services by ipHouse