The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday September 15, 2001 at 00:19
Justin2576
Founding Member
September 2001

I was in the store the other day and I was looking at all the new TVs and noticed that some of them are a lot wider than others. The picture seemed to be distorted. There was a woman on the screen doing a newscast, and her face looked stretched out and wide. On the regular TV she looked normal.

I asked the salesperson what was wrong with the picture and he said that it is supposed to look that way. I know the camera is supposed to add ten pounds but the poor newscaster looked like she gained 50 pounds. So I asked the sales person to put in a DVD so I could see what it looked like. I would think that if you put in a "widescreen version" of a movie that it would take up the whole screen of the TV. But Noooo. It was stretched out as well. It looked really bad.

So my question is, what is the point of having a wide TV? I would think that having a wide TV would allow you to watch widescreen DVDs and have them take up the whole screen, rather than having the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. I would also think that you would have two vertical bars on the left and right side when you are watching a regular TV show, so it is not all stretched out. Am I wrong in thinking this? Are all the female newscasters really that chubby? Or did the salesman really not now what he was talking about? I would really like to know more about these wider TVs.

Justin

Hosting Services by ipHouse