Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Wednesday September 19, 2001 at 21:46
Larry Fine
Loyal Member
August 2001
Hello again, BB.

Not that I'm aware of, and I'm fairly up-to-date on tools, being an electrician and A / V installer.

You can get a small coax crimper at Radio Shack that is about the size of a small wire stripper, and does not have jaws that stay parallel, but the parallel kind are better.

You can also get screw-on connectors, which are not quite as good, but if your installation assures the connectors will never get tugged on, that might do.

The center conductor of coax becomes the 'pin' of the plug, so the plug type is not relevant in that regard. The real trick to well-installed coax plugs is in the stripping of the cable.

R.S. also sells a little tool that is made for stripping coax, and I consider it a good investment if you will be doing your own work (along with decent hex crimpers). It works by twirling around the coax and step-stripping the outer jacket, the braid, and the dielectric (inner insulation).

By the way, be sure to get plugs intended for quad-shield RG-6, or else the cable jacket will not fit into the barrel of the plug. Stay away from the plugs that have a separate crimping ring; they're a P in the A.

Final advice: Be sure you do not have any stray shield braid wires sticking out of the barrel. They can cause all sorts of interference and noise, even though they're part of the ground conductor.

The speaker leads, you didn't mention in detail, but any decent wire crimper should work for most lugs, but soldering is better.

Larry

Hosting Services by ipHouse