Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Monday December 10, 2001 at 16:10
greve
Founding Member
May 2001
Don,

I have reached the same conclusion/questions that you are asking, so my revised strategy looks like this:

1) Upgrade cables to decent quality (mains, interconnect and speaker)
I have planned to use Kimber Mains cables (called YellO by the UK distributor), Kimber PBJ analogue interconnect between CD and AMP and finally QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire (or Kimber 4PR) for the main speakers

2) Upgrade CD player
The reviews of my current harman/kardon CDR 20 CD-Recorder are not that great in terms of music playback (copy is very good, though), so I should look at this. I have considered Arcam CD72/CD92, but there are many contestants in this price range...

3) Run CD-Player directly through Hi-fi AMP instead of A/V AMP
Purchasing e.g. Arcom AR75/AR85 with the special AV-switch, should make it possible to seamlessly integrate A/V and Hi-fi by letting the Hi-fi AMP drive the front speakers

4) Ditch the harman/kardon A/V AMP (AVR 4000) and buy something high end A/V stuff

Obviously I will have to "rest" inbetween these steps to check the state of the nation (bank account and WAF).

Any views will be appreciated and I will try to report back as my system develops - you can also follow it on [Link: allan.greve.com]

/Allan

P.S. I have Infinity Alpha speakers (40s in front, 10s in back and Center in Center). Sub is ELAC 373.

Hosting Services by ipHouse