The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Tuesday December 18, 2001 at 19:28
dominic stoltz
Founding Member
December 2001
I've done some checking on THX specs and have found that it appears that the avr520 is not capable of being certified. Aside from the re-eq, timbre matching, and de-correlation processes required, the avr520 is underpowered. From what I understand select and ultra are basically the same but designed for different room sizes. The avr520 only is capable of 75 watts in multichannel and THX select requires a minumum of 100 watts to ensure a 105dB SPL.
However, I don't imagine that would be much problem with speakers with a high sensitivity rating. I use a speaker system comprised entirely of one line of infinity(aside from the sub)with a sensitivity rating of 103dB(except for 93dB for center) so I believe I could attain very high SPL readings.(75 watts is 18.75 dBW plus 103 would be 121.75dB as SPL reading at 1 meter or 111.75 for center. Does this look right? I couldn't imagine getting even close to that loud.) Using speakers from the same manufacturer and line would also help with the timbre matching I would think.
Probably the biggest downfall for me in this reciever would be the lack of Dolby Digital Surround EX which I think it can't include due to lack of THX certification. I'm pretty sure this is the reciever for me but I am open to suggestions yet. If anyone has any comments or suggestions or recommendations for comparable recievers please let me know. Thanks, Dom

This message was edited by dominic stoltz on 12/18/01 21:38.54.

Hosting Services by ipHouse