The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Friday December 21, 2001 at 09:06
Mike Riley
Founding Member
May 2001
Hi, guys. I prefer the AVIA disk, but maybe not for the reasons one would initially think.

It is what I would call an "overall" setup disk, because it includes a TV-show-length look at Home Theater, which is perfect for the uninitiated. Graphics and descriptions are excellent.

It also has more explanations, in its testing side for video and audio, than the others. And it has a more varied selection of test signals for your surround audio setup.

I also prefer it's "black level" setup test; it's just easier to use.

On the other hand, the the competitor's disk was created by a big name in the industry, the fellow who started the Imaging Science Foundation and who pushes and pushes for standards across the industry. When his disk came out, there was nothing like it, and he helped many, many people, both customers and installers alike. And it has perhaps a better selection of video clips for testing colour.

And I understand it won't be long before he releases his new one which, based on his industry record, will probably blow away anything that is out there today both in terms of content and forward-looking format capabilities, especially HDTV, Progressive Scan, flatscreens and displays, etc. As well, since Home Theatre has become quite the marketplace, I'm sure it will be much more skewed to the user-friendly side than the existing one. Wish I knew when it was due to arrive. ... Mike

Hosting Services by ipHouse