Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 27 made on Wednesday December 19, 2001 at 10:53
Bruce Burson
Founding Member
October 2001
Think,

Reference "Shouldn't I calibrate it with Cinema EQ on?" I think you answered your own question: "I can either have the five channels matched or I can have the sub matched or I can have everything matched and turn the Cinema EQ off."

What's your priority? If you want to be technically accurate, you have to use the Avia test tones as designed: That is, with all settings as flat as possible. You will have to keep the Cinema EQ turned Off during the calibration process. That's the way it is. And don't bother trying to check the calibration matching with the Cinema EQ On later, it will never match. It's not DESIGNED to match that configuration, only an "untweaked," flat setting with no special additions from your receiver. If you want to be "technically accurate," you're there!

What that setting actually SOUNDS like is another thing. If your goal is to have a system that sounds good to your ears, stop worrying about technical accuracy and start playing with the buttons and knobs.

If you sometimes want one or the other, or you want to compromise between the two ideals, do what I suggested earlier: Start with a fully technically accurate calibration. Afterwards -- with full knowledge that you are now deviating from "technical accuracy" -- then change anything that you like until it sounds good.

BTW, many people don't like the flat response. It's not like you are alone or anything.

-Bruce

This message was edited by Bruce Burson on 12/19/01 11:32.50.
Never confuse your career with your life.

Hosting Services by ipHouse