Understanding why this is important
means knowing the difference between three different
concepts.

a. The signal going to the subwoofer

b. The low bass which is on each main audio channel
(left front, center, right front, left surround,
right surround).

c. The low bass on the LFE channel.

During the sub calibration there are two tones. One is a higer frequency while the other is bass. So what bass in this case? A,B or C? As far as I can tell, my receiver sends the same bass signal to the mains as it does the sub for this test. This is regardless of if the mains are set to large or small. I can get the lw test tone to match the high one but only if I turn the 'Cinema EQ' feature off on my receiver. For some reason, the Cinema EQ feature on my Kenwood VR507 receiver, renders this sub matching test useless. My receiver manual does state that there will be no LFE sent to the sub with the front speakers set to large, however if it is in Cinema EQ mode than the sub will be used. I like the large mode better because my cheapie Aiwa 8'' doesn't sound as good alone as it does accompanying the 12" woofers in the mains. Anyway, I concluded that I can't get the front left to match the sub with the Cinema EQ mode enabled. I can with it off. However the overall sound is terrible with Cinema EQ off. So I decided to just calibrate the bass tone to 85db (+10 over my other channels) During the frequency sweep on the sub set up, with my fronts set to large and cinema eq set to on, by sub and and the woofers in the mains seem to be carrying the same signal until it hits the crossover frequency at which point, the sub takes over. Does this sound right? It seems to be what is happenign with my setup.

Hosting Services by ipHouse