Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Thursday December 20, 2001 at 08:49
Dougofthenorth
Founding Member
November 2001
RE: CENTRE REAR SPEAKER
I researched all over & went through makers of speakers and makers of complete sets of THX (& other)
surround setups. findings 1) 7.1 -forget it 1) 6.1 rear centre - no specifics or direct references to a centre rear spec- only inferences that it would be the same as centre front - however the way THX deals with its surround speakers & speaks of balancing I would not be surprised to find it may not be like the centre front. I have "asked around" & have been told to use the same (matched) speaker for my rear as I use for the front. But hey the Yam don't have DPL2. Could there be a diff in speaker type between DPL & DPL2?
NOTE: 1)On this journey I have garnered that DTS & Dolby treat the rear speakers different: DTS - "direct", & Dolby "difuse". (I don't know the Bipolar/Dipolar thing enough yet to comment using those reference terms, I think there is a 3rd as type well.
Bruce; RE CENTRE REAR: (I wish I knew the diffuse/direct/direct radiating/bipolar/dipolar terms to explain this correctly but I'll try my way.
As the front speakers LCR front & rear are type "A"
& if one buys a THX system with a centre rear they are sold a speaker identical to the front type "A" I think you can't go wrong with doing so.
But as per M&K THX Ultra (not Ultra2) "gives you the choice of dipole or tripole radiation to best fit your room and source material." so using a dipole or a tripole is allowed for.
Therefore there is a diffence in the way Select/Ultra/Ultra2 present sound.
I wonder why the centre rear type spec is not just stated not just by inference??
Also it appears DTS address this issue in a different way & uses type "B" speakers. Yam also uses a "C" type speaker for the 2 Front Proprietary speakers.
Not just Snell try [Link: atlantictechnology.com]
& Also M&K [Link: mksound.com]

This message was edited by Dougofthenorth on 12/20/01 10:52.07.

Hosting Services by ipHouse