Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Thursday February 21, 2002 at 23:17
robkwil61
Founding Member
February 2002
Ditris,

I walked down your exact path this last month, and for me, the choice was easy. First off, I suggest HDTV ready, vs. true HDTV. If you can find a true HDTV, they are very expensive. When the time comes, you'll get your HDTV tuner from the cable company.

Based on the room I have for my home theater, I chose the 50" Toshiba TheaterWide 50H81. It's a 16:9 set, and perfect for watching movies. When compared side by side at Best Buy with all the others, it's picture was outstanding. Nothing else came close. They also make a 57" which is about $300 more. A good deal, but was too big for my room. And trust me, you can easily get something too big. I never thought that was possible.

Best Buy wants $2700 for this tv, and $300 for a 4 year extended warranty, which begins the day you purchase the tv. Kind of a rip off. What about the one year manufacturer's warranty???? The salesman at Best Buy (here on known as Worst Buy) even tried to tell me that Toshiba did not warranty their guns in the first year of ownership, but Worst Buy would cover the guns ($400 a pop to repair).

So the solution? Get your self a Sam's Club card. They have the same set, for $1999 and a TRUE extended 3 year warranty (for 4 years total) is only $134. But they don't deliver! :(

I'm proud to say I'm a card carrying member of the Sam's Club.

Now if my choice in audio gear had been that easy!

Good luck!

Rob

Hosting Services by ipHouse