Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Friday April 5, 2002 at 05:17
Bruce Burson
Founding Member
October 2001
Marc,

In answer to your initial question (what db to set your speakers on), the THX reference standard is to calibrate on 85db. Many home listeners find this too loud, however. The test tones on my favorite tool, the Avia DVD, are calibrated for 75db. I personally find 78db to be my preferred listening level, but your ears may vary :)

Depending on your goals, there may be multiple ways to connect your components. The simplest and most common way is to connect everything "into" the receiver and then connect the receiver's video output to the TV. The best bet is to consult your manuals.

I turned up a couple of references on the Web about room dimensions. The simplest rule to remember is that ideally none of the three dimentsions are equal. Beyond that I found this quote on optimal dimensions: "Although nothing is ever ideal, there are a few room dimension ratios that are better for listening rooms:

Height: Width: Length
1: 1.14: 1.39
1: 1.28: 1.54
1: 1.6: 2.33"

If you want a heckuva lot of detail, check out this reference. It is not light reading...

Finally, you might be interested in The Crutchfield Guide To Home Theater. There is some good speaker placement guidance beginning on page 19.

Hope this helps! -Bruce

This message was edited by Bruce Burson on 04/05/02 05:19.27.
Never confuse your career with your life.

Hosting Services by ipHouse