The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday October 28, 2004 at 13:47
jd's
Lurking Member
October 2004
Our home is being pre-wired for a 5.1 system. Should I consider a center speaker in the ceiling or one that sits on top of a TV? Is there a better option (than putting a center speaker in the wall)? My concern is that the sound from the center speaker if placed in the ceiling will be directed downward and not sound right.

For asethetic reasons my family is deciding to install speakers (perhaps DSi465 Boston speakers) in the ceiling instead of in-wall speakers. In-wall speakers limit the use of wall space. We also are trying to minimize sound equipment accessible to children. We are looking for quality at a moderate price (around 4-5K). (Would a Velodyne subwoofer be a good choice? What type of receiver would you recommend?)

The home theater will be placed in a 19' x 19'-10" room. The back wall is 'open' to the Kitchen. TV source (haven't settled on a TV) will be in the center along the far wall. The center speaker is currently located in the ceiling above the proposed TV source. I tried to illustrate below:
sp: means in-ceiling speaker
-------------------------------[3 windows here ]------
[window]
l
l (sp 4.5' to 5.5' from TV source)--------------12' sp from wall
l
l ----------------------------------couch 10' from wall
TV source (center speaker above TV in ceiling)
l
l
l (sp 4.5-5.5' from TV source)------------------12' sp from wall
l
[window]
----------------------------------------------------------

Any recommendations are welocme.

jd

Hosting Services by ipHouse