Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Tuesday February 1, 2005 at 22:08
jritch
Long Time Member
July 2003
mapatton,

Either the Harmony or the HTM would be a good choice. You need to pick a budget and decide how much time you want to spend learning to program it.

The HTM software is fairly straight forward, but the Harmony programming interface is an absolute breeze. The tech support is good, and they have a new model with a color display and a recharging dock that is kind of sexy. The H659 is the model that I sell the most of because of the price point.

There are a few advantages that HTM has over Harmony. RF capability is one of the main ones. Harmony has yet to release an RF capable piece. If you have line of sight or an IR repeater, this shouldn't be an issue.

Harmony is naturally Activity Based, and has pre labeled buttons to make them happen. THe HTM stuff has a main page where it lists devices and you embed macros under the buttons that happen automatically when you press the device button. The main difference is that the Harmony's SST funcionality remembers whether a device is on or off, and either changes state or doesn't based on that. With the HTM you have to try and find discrete codes for your equipment so that your macros don't turn something off when you are switching activities. This is sometimes a little tricky depending on your source equipment. The Harmony even has a help function that will straighten you out if things get out of whack.

That being said, I use an MX-700 at home, and push them to customers. I probably sell more Harmony's, but that is a price point issue. I have a Pronto TSU3000 and at least one Harmony lying in a basket under the end table in my living room.

After you pick one out, there are loads of posts on this website to help you customize your new remote. Have fun with it, but try not to over analyze it. It's only a tool to help you do what you started out to do in the first place, enjoy your A/V equipment.

Le me know if I can help you after you decide.

John

Hosting Services by ipHouse