The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 32 made on Monday January 31, 2005 at 20:51
mapatton
Long Time Member
January 2005
Def Tech are really nice on the upper end (Use to have an array of them with Adcom power). Had to sell them when I took a professional hiatus. I haven't tried the more price conscious items.

After getting married into a family a while back, I had to be much more price conscious. Put together a unique combination of Warfedale (Emerald fronts, bipolar surrounds) with an Infintiy 3 way center and an AR Sunfire sub that makes most smile that hear it (powered by a Denon). My wife's boss spent lottabucks on his system (speakers are Polk, Niles and Velodyne sub) and he asks me for what treatments I performed to have my system perform the way it does (none are performed as of yet). Plays movies, my daughter's hiphop , my wife's George Winston and my Gary Moore all well.

Best I can suggest is 1. pick your budget, 2. listen, listen, listen, 3. spend time positioning according to taste.

The mfg suggestions you have seen so far in replies is dead on.

PS: Best I have heard are Martin Logan, but god you need a lot of power for those. Tried some in house about 10 years ago (the Defs were 2 years old then) and my Adcoms putting out 250 per channel wasn't enought to drive them to 90db in a 15X20 room. Heard them with some Levinson's and Oh WOW.
Mark
Sony XBR5 / Pioneer Elite VSX-94THX / Panasonic DMP-BD30 / Toshiba HD-35A / Pioneer Elite DV-48AV / SqueezeBox 3 / SA 8300HD / all with a Pronto TSU7000

Hosting Services by ipHouse