The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday February 23, 2005 at 08:48
David Anderson
Long Time Member
February 2005
This is a follow-on to an earlier thread ('Where can I get long-range IR emitters?').

I have just bought a Powermid IR extender, but some components operate less reliably than others via this RF link. If I use a remote control directly in front of any of my kit then the response to IR signals is virtually 100% even if I just give one of the remote keys a very brief stab. However, to get my VCR to work via the extender, I have to press the keys in a much more deliberate fashion - holding down for about a quarter of a second. Quick presses seldom work at all.

The Powermid Receiver (IR re-transmitter) is directly in front of the VCR. The Powermid Transmitter (IR receiver) is well within range so I assume it can't be an RF reception issue. I get the same results with a variety of remotes, including my Pronto RU980.

I temporarily taped one of the Powermid's optional stick-on emitters directly over VCR's IR receptor but the results were no different.

My satellite receiver is more reliable with the Powermid but it still sometimes misses signals unless you hold the remote key down that little longer. In contrast, my stereo pre-amp only works via the extender when it feels like it! Holding the keys down longer doesn't help in this case.

Any suggestions?

This message was edited by David Anderson on 02/23/05 10:35 ET.

Hosting Services by ipHouse