The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Friday May 6, 2005 at 14:04
currentsupply
Long Time Member
April 2005
I am with pilgram here. I have built boxes for open air jeeps and range rovers. One box I built for an open air jeep was so loud it cracked the front winshield and it you could hear it loud from over a quarter mile away. It was so loud it hurt your head not just your ears.

Any way I am talking insanely loud here. Louder than insane!

Oh yeah, and for those open air situations I would use a slotted box design where the woofers are in seperate sealed boxes all firing into a common slot that is about 3 inches tall in front of the woofer. The closer the woofers edge is to the edge of the front of the slot use a tighter slot. Like if the woofers are right up to the edge of the slot I would use a 1.75" slot about.

Also, if you can, make the baffle out of 2 pieces of .75" MDF instead of 1 or just add supports to right behind the woofer hole.

For the woofers you mentioned I would chose a sealed box at the middle range of recommended box sizes. seal off all edges of the slot except one.

I would actually consider lining up the two subs so they fire through a single slot opening that measures 15" wide by 3" tall. That is where all of the sound comes out of. The woofers should be in seperate or a single sealed enclosure with the cones firing towards the slot.

Depending on your amplifier, I would wire the woofers in parallel. You can series the Dual Voice Coils or Parallel them if your amp and alternator can handle 1 ohm mono loads.

So yeah, I looked at the info sheet and they say they want 2.125 cu ft sealed. I would do that per speaker both firing into a slot that has internal demensions of 3" tall x 16" wide x 40" or so long. The slot opening would be 3" x 16".

Then do it twice so you have 4 subs.

This message was edited by currentsupply on 05/06/05 14:18 ET.

Hosting Services by ipHouse