The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 27 made on Friday October 5, 2001 at 09:26
Mike Riley
Founding Member
May 2001
mroll: I had a lot of problem with my RCA remote, and all the Learning Remotes that had the RCA codes taught to them. I did the teaching of the main infrared codes for all my remotes from about two inches away. Sometimes moving the original remote a degree or two this way or that worked better, and I actually have gotten to the point where I can get perfect readings three blasts in a row.

But that wouldn't happen with the RCAs... until I took EasyZapper's comments that they could do an RCA-type remote from 12 to 14 inches away. I sneered. Ddidn't they know I'M the expert? Anyway, just to tell them I tried it, I put the RCA about 8 inches from the Harmony: badabing! Instant recognition. I still find it hard to believe.

None of my Devices are in the database either, so I had to do the Infrared recognition thing for all of them. The company assures me that it won't be too long before the database is completely populated with a large number of brands and models. After Beta, they will also be turning customer Devices into the database.

There were also two parameters in the Harmony Monitor software that is used for this process: The first one was that they had a very strict IR-recognition factor built in, which they loosened up. Initially, it took four bursts of exact IR to register; now it takes three bursts in a little more relaxed methodology.

The second issue is that sometimes the Monitor "goes to sleep"; they are working on that now. So, it will seem that the Monitor is not picking up a signal, when in fact it isn't because it has "shut down". You can get around this by restarting your browser and logging in again; you will see that it is working by trying a different remote. I had a problem with the RCA because I couldn't tell it if was sleeping or not. Also, the Harmony goes to sleep, too, because the whole IR activity is a big drain on batteries. Usually, just hitting one of the buttons will solve that.

A modified the XML code for the Watch Television Activity to include the channels from my local cable company; pretty simple once you take a look at the example code that's already there just by selecting any of the companies in the provided list. Although, by Monday, this shouldn't be a problem as they will be instituting their North American-wide channel listings. EasyZapper even quickly fixed a setting that wouldn't allow the remote to see any channels above 255; now I can access channel 850 (used by my cable company as an info-channel for their new ITV service).

Hope this helps..... ... Mike

Hosting Services by ipHouse